The Greater Farallones National Marine Sanctuary seeks applicants for the Sanctuary Advisory Council (SAC). The council ensures public participation in sanctuary management and provides advice to the sanctuary superintendent. The SAC holds quarterly meetings within the regions of San Francisco, San Mateo, Marin, and Bodega Bay.
Candidates are selected based on their expertise and experience in relation to the seat for which they are applying, community and professional affiliations, and views regarding the protection and management of marine resources. Applicants who are chosen as members should expect to serve a three-year term.
The advisory council consists of 30 primary and alternate members, including community-at-large (Marin/Sonoma); community-at-large (San Francisco/San Mateo); community-at-large (Mendocino/Sonoma); conservation (two seats); education; maritime activities (commercial); maritime activities (recreational); youth; and research. There are also five governmental seats representing the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, California Resources Agency, National Park Service, U.S. Coast Guard and NOAA Fisheries.
Application deadline extended to May 31, 2018
Community-at-large San Francisco/San Mateo (Alternate)
Community-at-Large Seat Description/Qualifications
- Reside in the area affected by the sanctuary;
- Proven ability to communicate with members in communities near the sanctuary;
- Experience and/or knowledge regarding marine or Great Lakes management and resource protection issues in the sanctuary;
- Experience and/or knowledge regarding public uses and activities in the sanctuary;
- Freedom to express views and cast votes without consideration of any expectations held by an employer or other organization with which the member is affiliated; and
- Availability of time to chair and/or participate on appropriate council working groups or subcommittees
Availability of time to chair and/or participate on appropriate council working groups or subcommittees.
Advisory Council Seat Application Form (PDF, 1.2 MB)