The Greater Farallones National Marine Sanctuary seeks applicants for the Sanctuary Advisory Council (SAC). The council ensures public participation in sanctuary management and provides advice to the sanctuary superintendent. The SAC holds quarterly meetings within the regions of San Francisco, San Mateo, Marin, and Bodega Bay.
Candidates are selected based on their expertise and experience in relation to the seat for which they are applying, community and professional affiliations, and views regarding the protection and management of marine resources. Applicants who are chosen as members should expect to serve a three-year term.
The advisory council consists of 30 primary and alternate members, including community-at-large (Marin/Sonoma); community-at-large (San Francisco/San Mateo); community-at-large (Mendocino/Sonoma); conservation (two seats); education; maritime activities (commercial); maritime activities (recreational); youth; and research. There are also five governmental seats representing the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, California Resources Agency, National Park Service, U.S. Coast Guard and NOAA Fisheries.
Application deadline is March 30, 2018
CURRENT VACANCIES (9):
Community-at-large San Francisco/San Mateo (Alternate)
Community-at-large Marin/Sonoma (Primary)
Community-at-large Marin/Sonoma (Alternate)
Maritime Activities/Recreation (Primary)
Maritime Activities/Recreation (Alternate)
Community-at-Large Seat Description/Qualifications
- Reside in the area affected by the sanctuary;
- Proven ability to communicate with members in communities near the sanctuary;
- Experience and/or knowledge regarding marine or Great Lakes management and resource protection issues in the sanctuary;
- Experience and/or knowledge regarding public uses and activities in the sanctuary;
- Freedom to express views and cast votes without consideration of any expectations held by an employer or other organization with which the member is affiliated; and
- Availability of time to chair and/or participate on appropriate council working groups or subcommittees
Conservation Seat Description/Qualifications
- Affiliation with conservation or environmental organizations active in communities near the sanctuary;
- Ability to effectively communicate with multiple organizations and the broader community of conservationists/environmentalists in the sanctuary region;
- Familiarity with marine or Great Lakes conservation issues and management approaches affecting the sanctuary;
- Direct experience working with or representing conservation or environmental organizations, especially those involved with marine or Great Lakes conservation;
- Experience, ability and availability to conduct conservation outreach consistent with the goals of the sanctuary and the mission of the council;
- Commitment and availability of time to chair and/or participate on the council's conservation working group or subcommittee.
Research Seat Description/Qualifications
- Affiliation with scientific research institutions or organizations active in communities near the sanctuary;
- Ability to effectively communicate with multiple institutions and scientists;
- Direct experience with marine or Great Lakes research programs;
- Experience, ability, and availability to conduct outreach within the research community consistent with the goals of the sanctuary and the mission of the council;
- Commitment and availability of time to chair and/or participate on the council's research working group or subcommittee.
Maritime Activities/Recreation Seat Description/Qualifications
- Familiarity and affiliation with fishing organizations active in communities near the sanctuary;
- Knowledge of fishing (commercial, recreational, or both) activities within the sanctuary region;
- Breadth of experience and knowledge regarding fisheries law, policies, and practices affecting the sanctuary;
- Ability and willingness to communicate with key representatives from the fishing (commercial, recreational, or both) industries; and
Availability of time to chair and/or participate on appropriate council working groups or subcommittees.
Advisory Council Seat Application Form (PDF, 1.2 MB)