The sanctuary moved its headquarters to it's present location on Crissy Field within the National Park Service (NPS) Golden Gate National Recreation Area in 1992. Formerly known as the Fort Point Life Saving Station (of the US Coast Guard), the campus has stood on the northeastern shores of the Presidio since 1890. (Read the Historic Structures Report below for a complete history.). Currently, the sanctuary occupies the historic Officer in Charge Quarters (built in 1890), Lifeboat Station (built in 1915), and Pier & Tide Gauge Station (built by 1935).
The sanctuary entered into a long-term agreement with the National Park Service in 2008 to occupy and rehabiltate the campus. As each rehabilitation project is completed, individual pages will be added to this website describing each one:
- Pier & Tide Gauge Station - Jun 2004
- Office in Charge Quarters / Ocean Climate Center - Oct 2010
- Lifeboat Station & Shop/Garage Design update (PDF)
The sanctuary produced a Facilities Master Plan (PDF, 12Mb) to guide the rehabilitation of its historic campus. A Historical Structures Report (PDF, 4.1Mb) and Cultural Landscape Report (PDF, 6Mb) & Inventory were prepared to complement and inform the rehabilitation process.
You can also read the Coastside Visitor Center Concept Plan (PDF, 2.6Mb) for more information regarding potential satellite facilities, or learn more about the sanctuary's commitment to reduce the environmental impact of its operations.